Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Taxes, Deficits, and Social Security

So I was reading this morning about how the White House's economic figures are meaningless and completely wrong, and I was wondering: Why don't we hear about this from more people in the media? How does this joker even have a single person backing his lame-brained healthcare ideas (or any other financial ideas).

Let's face it: The government is hemorrhaging money like a drunken sailor on shore leave (no offense to our Navy friends). And then, I got a letter from the Social Security Administration today. The letter was dated July 23, 2009, and includes the following paragraph:

"In 2017 we will begin paying more in benefits than we collect in taxes. Without changes, by 2041 the Social Security Trust Fund will be exhausted and there will be enough money to pay only about 78 cents for each dollar of scheduled benefits. We need to resolve these issues soon to make sure Social Security continues to provide a foundation of protection for future generations."

This is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

My generation continues to pay for these benefits for the previous ones. However, through NO FAULT OF OUR OWN, we will never see a dime that we have paid into the system (disability or death notwithstanding). This is screwing my generation, and in addition to the TRILLIONS of dollars in inherited deficits that we're gonna get, it's too much.

So, given that the previous generations have decided to hand us the bill in 10 or 15 years, I have a counter-proposal:

Go ahead and pass all the legislation that you want. Stick my generation with the bills. But stop taking my damn money to pay for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. Stop asking my generation to support yours gratis. You can even keep all the money you've already siphoned off from my paychecks (it's gone already, so whatever). But quit being a bunch of damnable hypocrites. If Congress can spend the Social Security pool and not have to worry about replenishing it, then I don't want to be responsible.

If someone in charge up there is willing to change the way that Social Security works (e.g. FIX THE SYSTEM), then I have no qualms about continuing to pay for it. I just want to get some kind of return on my investment, so to speak.

And for all you crooked-bastard Congressmen: I'll be seeing you on September 12th!

AEQUITAS EN TODOS!!!

No comments: